The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The End of Evangelion (1997)’s First Time in North American Theaters

English cover of the End of Evangelion DVD, including one of the more frequently parodied images on the internet.

After almost 27 years, The End of Evangelion returned to theaters for two nights only. Released by GKIDS, the producers behind the film, this was the first time (and last time) the film would ever be theatrically shown in the United States.

Written and directed by Hideaki Anno as an alternate ending to the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, acting as a rewrite of the last two episodes, episode 25 “The Ending World” and episode 26 “The Beast That Shouted ‘I’ at the Heart of the World.”

The film, alongside the show, is available for streaming on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV.

The Evangelion series includes one show, and five movies. The other four films are referred to as the rebuilds, consisting of Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone (2007), Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance (2009), Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo (2012), and Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 Thrice Upon a Time (2021). There are also several games and manga stemming from the series

The film was shown at several Cinemark locations, including Cinemark on Carefree Circle, Cinemark Tinseltown, and Cinemark Tinseltown Pueblo. It was also shown at AMC Highlands Ranch and AMC Arapahoe Crossing 16.

All showings used the original Japanese dub with English subtitles. Shea Johnson, Class of 2025, prefers the subtitled version, explaining that “the voice lines don’t ever hit as hard as they do in Japanese.”

Almost every seat was sold out at the Carefree Circle location, aside from the seats at the very front of the theater. Shea remarked that “this is the only showing they’ve ever done and will do of Evangelion in theaters in North America. So, I think [it was] a really special experience.”