Cheer Team at State

Shea Ward, Staff Writer

The Cougar Cheer team shows great enthusiasm during sporting events, and pep rallies. On December 12, the team went to a competition of their own at the Denver Coliseum. At the tournament the Cougars placed 30 out of 36, only half a point behind Palmer and Fort Collins. Three sister, one coach and two athletes, from the Shea family are all a big part of the cheer team.

Faith Shea, one of the team captains said, “I think the season went really well this year, it was a little rough at the beginning, and at state during our tournament our music cut out, but other than that everything was really good. We, as a team, competed really well and sportsmanship was amazing throughout all of the girls.”

Coach Riggen said, “Being on the team comes with a lot of responsibility. The girls all motivate one another to work hard. As a whole this group of cheerleaders is extremely involved in the school. We had softball players, track runners, divers, council members, honor roll students, and the list goes on and on.”

Jillian Shea said, “Moving to 5A cheer was a challenge, but the whole team worked extremely hard, we faced some problems with competing, but all of us were still close, and there weren’t specific groups among the girls. All of the girls had great spirit about working together, and that’s what I liked about the team.”

Overall, the team had a decent competitive season and they are now back to cheering on other Coronado sports teams.

20160119_104915-2