Just Keep Swimming: Girls Swim Team Still Hopeful for the Season

Girls Swim Team still Hopeful for the Remaining Season

Swimmers+fly+off+the+starting+blocks+in+one+of+the+first+meets+of+the+2016-2017+girls+swim+season.+

Swimmers fly off the starting blocks in one of the first meets of the 2016-2017 girls swim season.

Conor Strizich, Staff Writer

Last Tuesday, January 10th, the girls swim team put up a strong fight against Pine Creek, one of the best teams in the 4A region.  

Sophomore, Mia Shaeffer, proved to be a key scorer for the Cougars, winning the 50 meter freestyle and the 100 meter fly, along with an impressive split in the 200 meter freestyle relay.

Carsen Fair achieved two wins in the 200 and 100 meter freestyle races, and also contributed in the 200 meter freestyle relay.  

Senior, Aly Archdale, another athlete in the state-qualifying 200 meter freestyle relay, raced in the 200 meter individual medley and earned the team yet another first place win against Pine Creek.  “I am excited to go to state, and I am proud of the effort that the team has put in this winter,” Aly said.

All season, the girls swim team has worked extremely hard to qualify for the Colorado 4A state meet, and last night, the 200 meter freestyle relay team achieved their goal.  With outstanding performances from teammates Aly Archdale, Carsen Fair, Lindsey Murray and Mia Shaeffer, the girls took swam a time of 1:49.58, which was fast enough to qualify them for state.  

Lindsey Murray describes the team as “hard working” and she compliments the relays as they have all qualified for state this year.  “We have been working really hard, and I’m sure that we will have good swims from here on out.  Our goal is to have more girls make it to state, and I’m excited for the rest of the season.”     

The girls swim team here at Coronado is incredibly motivated, and they have clearly been improving throughout the entire season.  This weekend the girls will compete in the Hornet Invitational in Pueblo on Friday and Saturday, so wish them luck as they qualify some more girls for state.  Good luck Lady Cougars!