Coronado Drives, Carefully, to First Place

Coronado “Drive Smart” campaign takes first in state competition.

Phillip Cyprian stands with Officer Thomas after winning the Drive Smart Competition

Conor Strizich, Staff Writer

One of the most notable parts about the effort of Coronado’s student council is their “Drive Smart” campaign.  During Drive Smart week, the student council engages students in multiple activities to promote safety while driving. The Drive Smart Foundation acknowledges the efforts put into their program by 28 other schools around the state, and last week it was announced that Coronado won first place against the other Colorado schools.

Phillip Cyprian, Coronado’s Vice President, was in charge of organizing Drive Smart week and he worked extremely hard to win the state competition.  After winning the Drive Smart competition for Colorado, Phillip said, “I’m proud of Coronado.  This is the first time that we’ve won Drive Smart and I feel like it impacted a lot of students here.”  His hard work, along with everyone else who was involved, will have a lasting impact on students here at the school.

Following Coronado’s win, Drive Smart  granted us $200, and the campaign has given our students and teachers priceless knowledge regarding safety on the road.  Many students took it to heart by promising to never text, drink, race, or become distracted while driving.  

Officer Thomas, our SRO (security resource officer), also played a key role in coordinating Drive Smart week.  “If we can save one life by stopping distracted driving, that’s all that matters.  It won’t impact a lot of people, but if it saves one kid from picking up their phone when a text comes through, then we’ve done our job.”  

By promoting safe driving here at Coronado, the community around us becomes much safer.  According to the Rocky Mountain Insurance Information Association, “Teen drivers represent nearly 6% of licensed Colorado drivers, but they account for more than 11% of all traffic deaths in the state.”  

Always be sure to wear your seat belt, and never drive distracted or under the influence.  By driving safely, you are potentially saving your own life, and the lives of other drivers around you.  That text can wait until you reach your destination.  Your Instagram feed won’t change too dramatically while you are behind the wheel.  Put down the phone and please drive smart Cougars.