Cougars Victorious Over Eagles, Securing Their Spot in the Playoffs

Coronado men’s basketball defeats Pine Creek 50-47

Senior Elijah Clanton directs the Coronado offense in a game against Air Academy during the 2016-2017 season.

Isaac Ross, Staff Writer

The Coronado men’s basketball game against the Pine Creek Eagles on 1/27 was among the most exciting the team has seen all season. The game was tense and close throughout but the Cougars managed to pull ahead over the Eagles 50 to 47. Coronado’s defense allowed the team to outscore the Eagles in the second and third quarters, as Pine Creek matched the Cougars’ scoring in the first and fourth. Four Cougars scored in double digits, accounting for all but two points scored by the team; senior Elijah Clanton had 14 points, Jareth Morey, 11, and Joey Callan, 12, both scored 12 points, and junior Ashton Rogers scored 11 points.  

The Cougars did an excellent job playing clean and sticking to fundamentals, only gathering 12 personal fouls over the course of the game, compared to Pine Creek’s staggering 22 fouls. The Eagle’s foul count allowed Coronado’s talented free throw shooters to accumulate points by shooting 69% at the line, though talented non-penalty play contributed equally. Great all around efforts were made by the Cougars, Jareth Morey boasting an impressive 8 rebounds and 2 blocks, and Joey Callan keeping the ball on our side with 4 rebounds and 4 steals.

The night was particularly exciting due to the vibrant and large student section, which cheered and supported the players with gusto through the game alongside the cheerleaders. “I actually think it was the most exciting game I’ve been to, especially because it was against such a prestigious team,” said junior Taylor Dutton, who attended the game. The excitement was further fueled by the game’s high stakes atmosphere, as the victory over Pine Creek secured Coronado’s place in the playoffs and gave the team momentum heading into the postseason. Senior Elijah Clanton said, “[the] game was very intense and exciting, and it had my heart racing. It was pretty fun.”

Support Coronado men’s basketball at their next home game on 2/2 against Pomona! Keep it up Cougars!