Athlete in the Spotlight: Ashton Rogers

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

Junior Ashton Rogers has proved to be an indispensable player on Coronado’s basketball and tennis teams over his past 3 years as a Cougar.  Climbing the ranks of each team, Ashton has risen from #2 singles to #1 singles, and from C team basketball to a varsity starter from his freshman to junior years. He shows great tenacity and leadership on both courts, and is a great teammate who is always giving 100%

Rogers has been a key part of the tennis team since his first year in high school, and during the 2016-2017 season he had a very successful second year in #1 singles, finishing the season with an outstanding 12-4 record. Head Coach Tyler Philipsen says about Ashton, “I would argue he finished as a top 20 player in 5A last year. So in short, he has contributed immensely with winning records every year so far at the toughest positions to win at.” Coach Philipsen also commends his quickness, mental toughness, determination, and dedication he shows on and off the court. Barely missing a ticket to state this year, but with 100 mile per hour serves and fast improving footwork, he is likely to advance to the tournament his senior year.

Rogers, who Coach David Thomas calls “one of the best shooters in the state”, has proved exceptionally valuable to to the basketball team this year as well. Leading the team in points, with 245, and rebounds, with 138, Ashton has helped the team immensely this season. His talent is some of the best in 5A: Ashton is ranked #22 in rebounds, as well as #13 in three pointers, with 47 total. According to teammate Elijah Clanton, “He helps a lot because he is one of our biggest scorers and he shoots a lot, rebounds a lot, and he always gives intensity.” The Cougars have benefited greatly from his drive, and with great teamwork by Cougar basketball he has contributed four double-doubles this season. Coach Thomas commends his work ethic and coachability, saying,  “Ashton is extremely coachable. Whether it’s athletics or the classroom, he is what a student should be; inquisitive, hardworking, and willing.”

With one more year at Coronado, Rogers will continue to be a key player on both teams. Want to see what all the hype is about? Come watch Ashton and the rest of the Men’s Varsity Basketball Team play in the Coronado Gym on 2/14!