Mock Trial Wins Regional Championships!

Attorneys Abby Bean,12, Noah Durrance, 10, and Sierra Meisner,10 being sworn in by the judge in last year’s regional championships.

Taylor Dutton, Staff Writer

Last week, Coronado’s Varsity Mock Trial team solidified a spot the Mock Trial State Championships at the Regional Preliminary Round! On Tuesday, 2/7, our team went head-to-head against Palmer’s Varsity team for the Regional Championship title.

Every year, our Mock Trial team is given a case that is politically relevant. Once the case is presented to the team, each student is given a role as an attorney, witness, or an expert on either the prosecution or the defense. The team has all winter to perfect their roles and case. The teams compete against other teams’ opposing side. This year’s case involved a marijuana overdose, ending in the death of a five-year.  Our Varsity Defense team went 3-0 at the Regional Preliminary Round last week, propelling  them to the State Championships.

Our Varsity Defense Team, consists of attorneys: Abby Bean, 12, Noah Durrance, 10, and Sierra Meisner, 10, and witnesses: Rachel Wisely, 12, Gabby Stenholm, 11, and Lilli Hansen, 12, and timer, Chris Bumpus,12. On Tuesday, this team went up against Palmer’s Varsity Prosecution Team. Over the course of two hours, the teams went back and forth presenting evidence, directing and crossing the witnesses in attempt to further their case in attempt to further their case to the judge and jurors, all while displaying their knowledge of the legal system and courtroom procedures.

At the end of this neck-and-neck dual against Palmer, the closing statements were given and the jurors and judge left the courtroom to decide upon the victor.

Five long minutes later, the judge along with the jurors complimented the attorneys and witnesses on a job well done.

Finally, the judge announced that the Defense Team had won the trial as well as the competition for the Regional Championship Title. This was an especially significant for our team because they have not beaten Palmer in 4 years.

Abby Bean, a senior returning to varsity spoke a bit about the well deserved victory, “I’m really excited we won, especially since some of us have been working to beat [Palmer] for 4 years. It is also awesome since only 2 of us are returning varsity members.” With all this young talent, this dream team is not going anywhere.

Speaking of young talent, sophomore Sierra Meisner commented on Tuesday night, “it’s just one of those surreal moments when you realize all your hard work, all the stress, all the hours spent practicing all paid off.” Not only is Meiser satisfied with the past but also the future stating she “can’t wait to keep growing and improving in the next month” for the State Championships.

First year attorney, Noah Durrance was pointed out by Mayor Suthers, who used to be the Attorney General of Colorado, for his handling of objections. Mayor Suthers actually called Noah an “objection nerd”. Noah says “it was a real honor for our team to be recognized by the Mayor of our city. We have worked so hard it has been a real struggle with some of our seniors graduating this year but our hard work is what is taking us to state”.

Mock Trial Head Coach, Ms. Jacobs, also expressed how proud she was for her team, “I was very impressed with how my kids did and their knowledge of the case. Especially Noah’s knowledge of objections, he really mastered it.”
Make sure to congratulate any of our Mock Trial Cougs and wish them good luck at their state competition on March 3rd through 4th!