Cougar Wrestlers Fight Their Way to State

Senior, Jimmy Weaver dominates a Pomona wrestler at the Coronado Cougar Classic

Maddy Morland, Staff Writer

Three weeks ago at the Metro League Meet, the Coronado Wrestling team landed an impressive second place finish out of 24 local teams. Stephen Dabelko, 12, KJ Kearns, 10, and Jimmy Weaver, 12 championed their weight divisions. Seth Garcia, 9,  Angel Flores, 9, Johnny Lopez, 11 Brady Chauvin, 12, Anthony Arellano, 12, and Nick Cote,12, all placed in the top 10. The team was once again able to beat Pine Creek, and conquered Doherty for the first time this season. Cheyenne Mountain edged out Coronado for first place, 214-221.

Two weeks ago, the Cougars competed in their last dual meet, a match against cross town rival, Rampart. They were victorious against the Rams, 52-21. Wins by Angel Flores, 9, and Nicholas Cote, 12, helped drive the team to victory. The team ended the season with an impressive record of 16-4 in dual meets.

Last weekend, the Cougar wrestlers put up an exciting performance at the Regional competition in Arvada. Stephen Dabelko,12, and Jimmy Weaver,12, both won their weight divisions, earning themselves a spot at state. Other qualifiers include Nicholas Cote, 12, and KJ Kearns, 10, who both finished second in their respective divisions, and Angel Flores, 9, and Brady Chauvin,12, who both took third. Anthony Arellano, 12, and Griffin Moncher, 12, took fourth and Zeke Terrazas,10, took sixth. The team took fourth place overall, and qualified seven wrestlers. “It’s been one of my goals” said freshman Angel Flores of qualifying. “I have had a bunch of coaches that have been there since day one helping me get to state and I’m just trying to make them proud,” he added. Jimmy Weaver, 12, Stephen Dabelko, 12, and KJ Kearns, 10, have had stellar seasons, and are favored to do particularly well at the state level of competition. 

The state competition in Denver is just a week away! Come out and support!