Athlete in the Spotlight: Alex Bumpus

A key player on Coronado’s baseball team since his freshman year, Bumpus will continue to play at Salt Lake Community College as he moves on from high school.

Grace Abernethy, Sports Editor

One of the best athletes at Coronado, senior Alex Bumpus, has been a key member of Coronado’s baseball team from his freshman year all the way to end of his time as a Cougar. Bumpus has made great improvements since his freshman year, and has nearly doubled his number of hits in the four years since then, from 14 to 25. Further, he has had 30 runs so far this season, the most on the team, not to mention his five home runs on the 2016-2017 season.

Long before he reached high school, Bumpus got his start playing t-ball, then competitive baseball when he turned 12. His experience definitely shows in the ways he plays, and Bumpus has grown into an incredibly valuable player for Coronado’s varsity, and his versatility is very helpful to the team: he stepped up as a pitcher five times this season, despite his usual position being center fieldsman.

As indicated by his talent in baseball, it is no wonder neither that Bumpus is a captain of the Coronado team, nor that he signed to Salt Lake Community College earlier this spring. Bumpus is excited to play baseball in the next stage of his education, and looks forward to see what opportunities it may give later on: “Junior college leaves options for playing in a higher division so that you can go to a bigger school later,” said Bumpus. As he moves to competition at the next level, he hopes to start both years, be a big contributor to the Salt Lake team, and to get to play at the highest level he can.
Before he moves on, however, Bumpus, and the Cougars, look to extend their season in the 5A State playoffs in the following weeks. “This has been one of the most successful seasons … in high school, and we have a lot of confidence,” Bumpus said. Judging by his success in high school baseball, Alex Bumpus has great things ahead of him in the sport of baseball.