Men’s Varsity Soccer is Kicking Off the New Season

Brisa Alvidrez

Credit to Brisa Alvidrez

Riley Burgess, Staff Writer

Men’s Varsity Soccer kicks off the season with a 1-2 starting record and a great win to end their first week in a game against Falcon High School. The season started slow with a 0-10 loss against Sand Creek, but throughout the week the team picked up some steam. Their second game, against Colorado Springs Christian School was closer, with just a 2-7 loss. The Cougars got their first break with a close game against Falcon High School, on Thursday, 8/31, with a a 1-0 victory. Cullen Sheperd, 12,  was selected as the Player of the Game for their win against Falcon for great defensive plays and assists. Coronado’s winning goal is all thanks to junior Jesus Yepez in the second half after 16 attempts were made by other players. Falcon had only 4 attempts and thanks to goalkeeper, Kayden Bradley, 11, none weren’t saved. All the players are excited to see where this season is going including Cullen Shepherd, 12, who said, “We had a rocky start to the season, but we really started to work together as a team against Falcon. It was a hard fought game but we came out with the win.”

We Cougars can help make this a great season by supporting varsity soccer in future games including at their next home game against the Vanguard Coursers on Tuesday, 9/5 at 7 P.M.!