GST- Yay!

Coronado’s GSTA is a club for anyone in the LGBTQ+ community, and anyone with an open mind.

GST-+Yay%21

Mohss Elaine, Staff Writer

Coronado is an ever-changing school with an abundance of diverse students. With time, sexualities and genders have become diversified in the community, and are becoming widely accepted. Despite the growing Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Queer+ (LBGTQ+) community, there are still questions and dispute regarding the community coming from the outside.

Because of such questions, disputes and general societal stigma, a group of Coronado students started the Coronado Gay Straight Trans Alliance (GSTA) to help non-LGBTQ+ members of the school understand the LGBTQ+ experience, debunk misconceptions, and answer questions anyone may have.

Ms. Jacobs took on the role of sponsoring the GSTA club late last year, and has been leading it since. The GSTA has become a safe space for Coronado’s LGBTQ+  community, and anyone who supports the community.

Ms. Jacobs described the GSTA as “A place where everyone is welcome, as long as they have an open mind. What we’re trying to do this year is have a visible presence, and make sure that people understand the issues in the community, and know how it affects the community as a whole.”

The GSTA is planning multiple events in hopes of raising funds and awareness of the LGBTQ+ community. “We’re going to be partnering up with Cougars Care to have a clothing closet that will be available to all students, because people in the community might not have access to resources. We’re hoping to do a movie night that will benefit either Inside Out Youth Services, or Urban Peak, which is the youth shelter in town, which will happen in October, but that’s still being worked out.”

During the GSTA meetings, Ms. Jacobs intends to talk about the rights of LGBTQ+ community, but also inform them of politics revolving around the community, such as being transgender in the military and the rights that LGBT students and community members hold. The GSTA will be putting out announcements during October, which is LGBT Awareness month.

The GSTA will meet every Tuesday after school, and for the kids who can not come after school there will be a meeting on the first friday of every month during first lunch. Come down to join in the conversation and learn more about the LGBTQ+ community!