Freshman Andrew Merz Leads Cougars at Pine Creek Invitational

Andrew Merz, freshman, walks between holes during the 2017-2018 golf season.

In just the second month of his freshmen year, Andrew Merz is already one of Coronado men’s golf’s top players. Throughout the entirety of Coronado men’s golf’s season, which is just three weeks from its close, Merz has not only consistently placed high within the Coronado team, but within local competition, taking as high as sixth in a 2017 tournament. Recently, Merz lead the Coronado team at 9/7’s Pine Creek Invitational. Merz said of his performance, “I did play [well] that round but you can always improve on every round… [I] just hope I get better, next year, [and] the years after.”

At the tournament, Merz led the Cougars by 22 strokes, scoring an 85, followed by Jack Cintron, 11, with a 107, Jacob Crandall, 11, with a 108, and Alexander Cintron, 9, with a 125.  

Merz said not much was on his mind during the tournament, saying “sometimes you just don’t need to think, you just need to play golf and know what you’re doing.”

The Cougars head into Colorado State 5A Golf Regionals on Monday, 9/18, and Merz hopes to continue his recent success, aiming to make it to the Colorado 5A State Golf Tournament, set for 10/2-10/3.

Though the Cougars placed in the bottom third of the Pine Creek Invitational, the team is young, and with five underclassmen, including Merz, there is huge potential for the program’s future.

Catch the Cougars at Colorado State 5A Golf Regionals on 9/18!