Softball Coming Back Stronger

Coronado Softball is ready to make an impact this season!

Taylor Dutton, Staff Writer

Despite a difficult season last year, our favorite softball team is geared-up and optimistic for upcoming 2017-2018 season. According to last year’s captain and notable fielder, Grace Leahy, 12, they “participated in a park and rec league over the summer and practiced as much as possible” to stay fresh and have fun. Along with increased summer training, the team has gained “many talented players this year, so I’m excited for the season and hopefully we can come out on top!” Leahy claims.

Accompanying Leahy, more strong players are returning to the team, such as last season’s Most Valuable Player, Julie Callan, 11. Callan led the team in both batting percentage and fielding percentage of 0.460 and 0.625 respectively. Julie Callan also received the second-team all-league honor last season as just a sophomore! Nevaeh Santistiven, another strong player returns to the Cougar’s Softball roster. Santistiven was just a freshman last season but quickly became a force to be reckoned with. Receiving an all league honorable mention, she fielded 0.333 and hit 0.435 in the previous season.

Make sure to catch their first home game at Holmes on August 24th versus Mesa Ridge! Good luck this season Lady Cougars!