A Cougar Victory Stings the Sand Creek Scorpions

On homecoming weekend, Coronado comes home with a win defeating Sand Creek High School 34-9.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cougars take the field just before conquering the Scorpions last year at Homecoming

Coronado Yearbook

Coronado Yearbook

Coronado Yearbook

Hannah Besse, Staff Writer

With a crazy week of homecoming festivities under our belts, we have time to reflect on the outstanding events that occurred. On Friday, 9/15, the Cougar football team took the stage and had an extraordinary performance, winning Sand Creek High School 34-9 at this year’s homecoming. The stands packed with excited Coronado students and other fans, this win boosted Coronado’s record to 2-1 while continuing Sand Creek’s winningless 0-3 season. Last year, CHS narrowly escaped the Scorpions, victorious 24-21, but this year, Coronado came out fast and furious despite four turnovers.

The Cougars were the first to score; quarterback senior Toby Smith orchestrating a 77-yard drive on their second series of plays with Troy Renner, 11, completing it with a 41-yard touchdown run with three minutes left in the first quarter. During the second quarter, Smith and tight end Brock Stinson, 12, connected twice completing touchdowns of 10 yards and 26 yards, ending the half with a 20-0 lead. Stinson commented that “…we worked well as a team and the amounts of fans who came out, had a huge effect on our performance.”

After the various homecoming festivities during halftime, in which seniors Parris Hood and Conor Strizich were crowned homecoming king and queen, the Cougars marched onto the field once again, but got off to a rocky start. The Scorpions scored early in the 3rd quarter, but missed the extra point, making the score 20-6 with Coronado still on top. The Cougars made sure not to let this two-score lead get to their heads, however, and bounced back with two touchdown runs from senior Jordan Evans, making the score 34-6. With seconds left in the annual Coronado homecoming football game, Sand Creek kicker, Jesse Bridge, punted a 25 yard field goal making the score 34-9, but the Cougars had already sealed the victory by that time. Coronado’s defense matched Coronado’s offense’s outstanding performance on the 15th, leaving Sand Creek with fewer than 50 yards in the night.

After the incredible victory, the stands, filled with Coronado families, students, and other supporters, rang with prideful screaming and chanting to celebrate the win. It was a night full of school pride and excitement, but most of all, a night of success and triumph. Congratulations to the Coronado football team and make sure to check out their next home game against Palmer on 10/5 at 7 P.M.