Lady Cougars Claim Metro League Title

At the 5A Metro League Championship, Coronado boasted both an individual champion and a league title.

Chloe Cassens,12, of Coronado, takes the lead in a final push to the finish to become the 5A Metro League Champion.

Maddy Morland, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, the girls cross country team brought home the first Metro League title Coronado has received in almost two years. The team put up an impressive score of 29 points, and managed to place all of their top 5 runners in the top 10. Chloe Cassens, 12, was the 5A Metro League Champion, followed closely by teammate Taylor Dutton, 12, who placed 3rd. Not far behind were Grace Abernethy, 10, Faith Roth, 11, and Maddy Morland, 11, who placed 7th, 8th, and 10th respectively. “The way they ran together and pushed each other throughout the season was really on display today” said head coach Grant Stoughton of the girl’s race.

Chloe Cassens, the 5A Metro League Champion said of her performance, “I was really proud of it!” She expressed surprise at her victory, saying “I was determined to hold my spot, I had no idea I was going to catch Ramsey!” Cassens’ astonishment was not unprecedented, as Kayla Ramsey, 12, of Rampart High School was thought to be a shoe-in for the win, boasting a plethora of first place victories at meets across the region. No one could have predicted the incredible show of guts put on by Cassens. Cassens also praised the team’s overall performance, adding “We had a solid pack and that helped me and [my teammates] to keep pushing ourselves.” Coach Stoughton applauded her race, saying, “For Chloe to make up the huge lead the Rampart girl had was impressive. She was trailing by probably 50 meters at one point, but used the last 400 meters to really put a hurt on.”

It is with renewed determination that the Coronado girls cross country team head into their regional competition, where they will battle for a spot at state, facing off against opponents like Mountain Vista, who is ranked 5th in the nation. Despite the mounting pressure on the team as the season progresses, their coach believes “the girls should head into Regionals with a ton of confidence.”

Come support the girls at their Regional competition on Thursday!