Cougars Sweep Sets for Ticket to State

Hosting their first home regional since 2012, the Cougars took Regionals in a smashing fashion.

The Cougars celebrate after winning both matches in straight sets.

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

On Saturday, for the first time in five years, the Cougar volleyball program hosted regionals in the red and gold decked main gym. To host a regional, the Cougars had to earn one of the top twelve RPIs (rating percentage index) in Colorado 5A, of which, they were ranked sixth. The Cougars hosted #31 Dakota Ridge and #19 Denver South, and surrounded by the cheers of their strong home crowd, the Cougars decisively pushed through the competition to earn a bid to state.

Against the Denver South Rebels, the Cougars easily won each match, besting their opponent 25-9, 25-7, and 25-17. The Cougars rounded up ten aces over the course of the match, four of which coming from freshman Ella Moceri. Seniors Mara Abernethy and Mallory Brown rounded up a total of 16 kills and 3 blocks. “It was really fun to play against such a talented defensive team, and I think it helped us prepare to play on the next level,because we really had to think about where we were going to put the ball on the third contact”.

In the championship match against Dakota Ridge, the Cougars also produced a definitive win against the 16-9 Eagles. Coronado showcased its stand-out offense in its three set sweep, seniors Jaelyn Hershberger, Brown, and Abernethy rounding up a combined total of 33 kills. The Cougars also showed their strength at the serving line: The team racked up four aces a set over the course of the match.

Coronado seems to be playing their best volleyball of the entire season in the last few weeks, and hopes to continue that momentum going into the State Championship this weekend. There, the #6 seeded Cougars will take on some of the best teams in 5A and advance all the way to the finals. To do so, Coronado will need to win both of their pool play games against #3 Castle View and #9 Rock Canyon. Come support the Cougars and watch some fantastic volleyball at the Denver Coliseum on Friday at the last game of the day and Saturday at the last game of the morning session. Let’s go Coronado Volleyball!