Cougars Swim Circles Around the Competition

The Cougars definitively defeated Doherty and posted a myriad of strong performances at their last meet.

A Cougar swimmer backstrokes brilliantly.

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

The Cougar swim team was busy over Winter Break picking up their first win of the season against District 11 rival Doherty on December 19, bringing their league record to 1-1. The Cougars decisively defeated the Spartans 103-83 through their strong performances in relays and a smashing 1-2-3 finish in 100 backstroke.

Starting off the meet strong, the Cougars kicked off the competition by claiming first and second place in the two hundred medley relay. Then, the Cougars showed their team strength as sophomore Kaytlynn Hall finished third in the 200 freestyle with three of her teammates following closely behind her. Freshman Stephanie Boyd brought in Coronado’s first individual win of the day with her 2:34.29 performance in the 200 individual medley. Leanne Telle’s effort in the event also earned her a spot in the top three finishers. Another freshman, Anika Nelsestven, claimed second place in the diving competition in only her second time diving as a Cougar. Freshman are a huge part of Coronado’s swim team this year: Half of the team- and two out of three individual state qualifiers- are in their first year of high school. Mia Shaeffer, 11, commends their contribution to the team and how the “freshmen have been crucial in winning meets and getting points on the board.”

Shaeffer, seven time state qualifier, won the 100 butterfly before turning around to defeat the 100 back competition by ten seconds. Boyd came up third in the 100 butterfly, rounding up even more points for the Cougars. The Cougars also won the following event, the 100 free, with Erin Field’s strong time of 1:00.35. Telle continued her strong day with a second place finish in the 500 free. The team rounded up another second place-not to mention third and fourth as well- in the 200 freestyle relay.

However, the most fantastic performance of the day was probably in the 100 back competition, where Shaeffer, senior Chloe Cassens, and sophomore Alexa Touchard pulled off a 1-2-3 finish. The Cougars continued their momentum into the next event, 100 breastroke, where sophomore Torianne Austin won the event with a time of 1:28.12. Closing out the hard fought meet, the Cougars cinched a win in the 400 free relay.

The swim team has already qualified eight individuals and teams for state, coming up in only a few short weeks. Every relay has already earned a ticket to state, as well as three individuals: Stephanie Boyd in the 50 free, Erin Field in the 50 free, and Mia Shaeffer in the 100 butterfly, 100 free, and 200 IM. In the closer future, however, the Cougars are focused preparing for the league championship and working hard to be successful at their next meets and expand the state team. 

Catch the Cougars swimming swiftly and diving dazzlingly at their next meet against Pine Creek on 1/9 at 4 P.M. at the Coronado swimming pool.