Go Big or Go Bigger: Where to Find Outside Scholarships

Finding scholarships can be a challenging process, but with these resources, your search can go much more smoothly.

Jaelyn Hershberger, Staff Writer

The cost of college isn’t getting any cheaper and some colleges only offer limited scholarships, but there are other ways for you to pay for tuition, getting into your dream college is already stressful enough!

Here are some great ways to find outside scholarships…

Scholly

Scholly is a scholarship search tool that was made particularly to help students raise money to further their education. The founder Christopher Gray won $1.3 million in scholarships as a high school student which later, fueled him to create this app and website to help kids just like him be able to afford post-secondary school.

Unigo

Unigo is a website that helps students get matched with scholarships, as well as provide their own essay scholarships. For example, their $2,000 “Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship” asks for an original piece of 250 words or less on how YOU would survive a zombie outbreak at your school. Who wouldn’t want to win a scholarship for writing about zombies?

The College Board

Despite the immense amount of pain The College Board may have brought you, it can, surprisingly, bring you the same amount of  fortune, too. Like the previous websites, The College Board provides a scholarship search tool. It gives you the option to personalize the search so that the results fit who you are and what you need.

RaiseMe

RaiseMe is a slightly different program. It helps you estimate and ensure the minimum amount of money you will get at a certain college through micro-scholarships. Make an account and add achievements like good grades and volunteering which will help you earn money. However, not every college is linked with RaiseMe, so this will not be beneficial for everyone.

Ask Your Counselor

Just ask your high school counselor! Their job is to help you get a jump start on your future after high school. Schedule an appointment, sit down, and have a chat with them, it’s that simple, they have the knowledge to assist. You can also visit their website as to see what opportunities they provide/recommend.