Ross and Sun Secure Spots as Boettcher Finalists

Coronado has two students vying to win the Boettcher Scholarship this year, Isaac Ross and Joshua Sun.

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

Only a few days ago, Coronado’s own Joshua Sun and Isaac Ross were announced as finalists of the Boettcher Scholarship, a competitive scholarship where winners are granted a full ride to any college in Colorado. It is incredible that two finalists were named from Coronado, as Coronado comprises only one of 644 high schools in Colorado, and it produced two percent of the finalists for the Boettcher.

The Boettcher Scholarship is a fantastic opportunity that is given to only 42 of the 100 named finalists. Those 42 students oftentimes land in the top two percent of their class and score over a 1400 on the SAT, no small feat for students that are also recognized for their leadership and character.

Ross and Sun are definitely deserving of this honor, whose winners will be announced later in the school year. Sun is set to be the valedictorian of his class with a weighted GPA of 4.91. One of the selection criteria, commitment to activities, is illustrated in Sun’s accomplishments as a filmmaker and dancer. Ross also achieves in and out of the classroom, maintaining a 4.5+ GPA and participating in a myriad of extracurricular activities, including being co-editor of the Cougar Daily, participating in Local Government Club, and cycling.

Ross is both excited and surprised of his being a finalist, saying “I am very surprised and excited, as there are many other people more deserving of this honor.”

Joshua and Isaac, although they already submitted a strenuous application, will have to make it through interviews in March before the work is over and the waiting begins.