Track Preseason: Up and Running

Spring athletes look to maintain their fitness over the winter.

Want to be as fast as junior Taylor Dutton? Come to preseason track workouts starting January 17th!

Maddy Morland, Staff Writer

Track is around the corner, and preseason is in full swing. It’s a great way to get in shape for other sports, meet new people, and give the sport of track and field a trial run. It’s also a no cut sport, so rest assured that no matter your athletic abilities, there is a place for you.“If you’re not in a sport you really need to think about coming out for track to develop auxiliary muscles, speed muscles, power, and endurance” said head girls coach and distance specialist, Doug Hugill.

Preseason training is certainly not just for track novices, however. Even seasoned runners should strongly consider taking part. According to Hugill, “athletes that think they’re running on their own anyway are in for a shock when all of a sudden they hit day one,” adding, “they have to ease into the speed and intensity and that’s what preseason does.” Ben Swanson, a veteran of Coronado’s running program and the team’s fastest 800 meter runner agrees. “It’s good because it helps to get ready for track” said Swanson.

Another reason to do preseason is to condition for other sports. Athletes who compete in sports throughout the winter and fall should strongly consider doing track in order to keep the gains made during their season. According to Hugill, running is “the basis of all athletic motion,” and can help improve endurance, cardiovascular strength, and general fitness – all of which contribute to better performance in any sport.  

Coronado’s running program is a great sport to be a part of. It’s the largest team in the school with the highest number of participants, so it’s a great way to meet new people. “It’s a great crowd” said Swanson of the Coronado running community. Freshman Makayla Brown echoed Swanson’s thoughts, saying of her experience, “coming into preseason I felt very welcomed by all the upperclassmen, even though I’m a freshman they let me run with them.” Brown added, “they push me, and they push me to push myself to become a better runner.”

Additionally, most students at the school have or have had class with one of the coaches.  Coach Hugill is no longer teaching, but was the physics teacher for years.  Coach Kane teaches AP US History and current issues.  Coach Stoughton teaches English and runs the newspaper and yearbook programs.  Coaches Watson and Nottingham both have full days of freshmen in English and math, respectively.  Coach Christensen is the PE and health teacher with the funny jokes.

It’s not too late to join! Track starts February 26, so there’s still a few weeks of preseason left to come check out track.