Sophie Urban Trumpets Her Way to Fame

Freshman Sophie Urban won an award from the International Trumpet Guild!

Sophie Urban Trumpets Her Way to Fame

Isabella Janney, Staff Writer

Sophie Urban, a freshman here at Coronado, was recently awarded the International Trumpet Guild’s “Young Artist Award,” presented to one high school student from across the world per quarter. The International Trumpet Guild (ITG), according to their website, a “professional community…dedicated to the trumpet profession,” is the largest and most popular trumpet organization in the world. Being recognized by the ITG is a terrific honor, especially as a young person; Sophie is just 13 years old! “It feels super amazing! It is also good because I will get my name in the community which helps in the future, so it is a great opportunity,” says Sophie of the accolade.  

Even at her young age, Sophie is a seasoned player: she has had classes and played with trumpet greats such as Rodney Marsalis, Tim Hudson, Eric Berlin, Terry Everson, Cullen Bryant, and many others. At age 9, she was the youngest brass player to become a member of the Colorado Springs Youth Symphony Organization when she was inducted in 2013. As part of the Ovation Youth Orchestra, she traveled to the Caribbean in 2015 and will be touring in Australia and New Zealand with the Youth Symphony later this year. Sophie has also taken a part, and done very well, in many competitions including the ITG Youth Competition, where she was a finalist; the National Trumpet Competition, where she was a semifinalist; and the Young Musicians Foundation of Colorado, where she was also a semifinalist. “Sophie Urban is an amazing trumpet player and student. As a freshman, she earned 1st chair in our wind ensemble, which is our top band. Not only that, she got 1st chair in the top band of the All City bands from Colorado Springs, so she beat all of the seniors, juniors, and sophomores all across the city, which is amazing. She also won the International Trumpet Guild which is worldwide… It seems there is no stopping Sophie!” says Coronado band director, Mr. Combs. Sophie also enjoys playing the trumpet in church, in nursing homes, during children’s worship, and playing simply for fun!  

As winner of the“Young Artist Award,” Sophie will receive a courtesy one-year membership to ITG as well as recognition for her incredible accomplishments. Be sure to congratulate Sophie next time you see her in the halls!

image credit: http://www.clipartpanda.com/categories/trumpet-clip-art-free