Last Games Leave Us With a Lasting Impression of Girls Basketball

Although Girls Basketball lost both their finals games, the Cougars fought hard and left it all on the court.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abriana Burr, 12, dribbles towards the net and the end of her high school basketball career.

Hannah Besse, Staff Writer

Coronado girls basketball finished their season last week with a final record of 7-16, losing both their final games after a hard fight full of “lasts” for our senior players.

The first of the two battles, and the Cougars’ senior night, occurred on Tuesday, 2/13. The festivities began with honoring the four seniors, Madi Eurich, Alanna Langness, Amber Manners, and Abriana Burr, for their hard work throughout the season and their high school careers. The Cougars’ starting lineup against the mighty liberty Lancers consisted of the four seniors, accompanied by junior Julie Callan. The Cougars came out lacking defense with a 18-7 deficit after the first quarter and ended the half down 11-31. The Lancers’ strong play continued, amounting in a final score of 61-32, but Coronado never bowed down and gave up. Alanna Langness, 12, was the Cougars’ top scorer of the game with six points, followed by Abriana Burr, 12, with five points. Jayda Lyon, 12, was Liberty’s highest scorer of the game with a grand total of 20 points which contributed significantly to the Lancers’ large lead. The Lancers concluded the regular season with an 18-6 record and a trip to the playoffs.

The four seniors were subbed out of their last home game one by one, met with applause (and tears) from the audience.

“It was very bittersweet. I’m sad that I never get to play a basketball game ever again, but I’ve been looking forward to that night since I was a freshman,” said Madi Eurich, 12.

The Cougars then had their last game of the season on Friday, 2/16, against the Rampart Rams. The game ended similarly to Tuesday’s matchup, with a score of 61-32.  Bailee Hart, 11, was the top scorer for the Rams with 18 points and Madi Wriedt, 12, added 17 points to their score; the two totaled for more than half of Rampart’s points. The Cougars started the game only seven points behind with a deficit of just 17-10 at the end of the first quarter, but the Rams’ lead kept growing, ending the half  at 32-17 and the game at 61-31 with Rampart on top.

The women’s basketball season ended with an impressive record compared to previous years. Although some of the seniors’ basketball careers have come to an end, their effect on Coronado and Coronado’s women’s basketball program will not be forgotten. Congrats to the Cougars on a strong season! We’re so excited to watch you take the court again next season!