Helpful – And Free – Apps for Students

Gabriel Maldonado, Staff Writer

The smartphone is an immensely more powerful computer than the monstrosities which originally filled entire rooms – and yet we carry them in our pockets. Many of us carry our smartphones with us wherever we go, since they are so helpful with everyday tasks. There often seems to be an app for every single task one could possibly want to accomplish, whether it be finding somewhere good to eat or passing the time when bored, there are also many apps available that make being a student just that tiny bit easier. Here are some free apps that can help with every aspect of student life.

Google Calendar – Free

You can almost never go wrong with an app made by Google, and Calendar may be one of the best apps out there for its purpose. Google Calendar ties into your Gmail and adds events automatically. Making your own events is simple and fast. There are three ways to view your calendar: from the month, the week, and the day. The month and day options are shown elegantly as timelines, allowing you to see events in chronological order. Calendar also includes reminders and goals in it’s system, allowing you to use a single app for many functions. Calendar also uses the cloud to store its data, so if you have other devices signed into Google, your events, reminders, and goals will all be synced.

Available on both iOS and Android.

Desmos Graphing Calculator – Free

While classes still want you to buy a physical graphing calculator, Desmos is a beautiful solution to graphing on your phone. All the standard features of an average graphing calculator are within the app, along with a scientific calculator, which can be useful since the OS standard calculators are not always helpful with more complex problems. Points of interest on graphs, like minima and maxima, are already shown. Just tap on the point, and it will show you the numbers. The app also includes some functions necessary for calculus and statistics. It also works offline, and does not require an internet connection if you don’t want to use data.

Available on both iOS and Android.

Swipes – Free

Forgetting homework or tasks is never fun. Swipes is a free app that allows you to schedule tasks, set for whenever you want or whatever task you want – name it what you need to remember. It will send a notification when you need to be reminded. Managing tasks within the app is satisfying: swipe right to complete a task, and swipe to the left to reschedule the task for later. The interface is clean and simple, also including a dark mode for those who don’t want the bright white background. If you have multiple devices, Swipes does sync over the internet via an account you can choose to create, so you can manage your tasks in your browser or on a seperate phone or tablet.

Available on both iOS and Android.

Flashcards+ by Chegg – Free

Carrying around physical flashcards can be a hassle. Chegg effectively removes the need for them, with a digital app that allows you to make flashcards or find a premade set through Quizlet. The cards are offline, so you can review any of your sets anywhere. You can shuffle sets for randomized studying, and mark cards that have been memorized. If you have an Apple Watch, you can view the cards on it without having to pull out your phone, perfect for when you’re in a rush. The app is simple, but effective in its purpose. Unfortunately for Android users, this app is only available on iOS, however there are alternatives for Android such as Cram.com Flashcards, which is also free.

Available for iOS.

Evernote – Free

Evernote is an elegant and effective app for taking notes in whatever form you want to. You can type, hand-write, sketch, and record all of your notes, as well as import images and web clippings. The app can also scan your pictures and handwritten notes or sketches, allowing you to organize them digitally. You can also set reminders within it, and use it like a simple word processor. The data syncs over the cloud, so you can open Evernote wherever you are and find what you need. You can also work with anyone else that has Evernote and have collaborative notes, allowing for more productive group work. Do keep in mind that Evernote does have a storage limit for free users, and if you want more space you will need to pay for a subscription.

Available for iOS and Android.