Cougars Sprint Straight to Second at the Pikes Peak Invitational

Both the girl’s and boy’s track teams come out strong at their first meet and place second behind Pine Creek.

Senior Charles Broomfield is an integral part of the men’s track and field team.

Hannah Besse, Staff Writer

The men’s and women’s  track team had their first meet of the season last Friday, 3/9, at the Pikes Peak Invitational at Gerry Berry Stadium. Both teams performed well despite the cold, windy conditions and both brought home a 2nd place trophy.

The Cougars Boys finished behind Pike Creek with a score of 98 to 118 despite many unfilled events due to illness and prior engagements. Justin Dwinell, 12, placed first in both the 100 meter dash and the 200 meter dash with a time of 11.42 seconds and 22.00 seconds. Junior Ben Swanson and Sophomore Eric White then placed 3rd and 6th in the 800 meter run; Swanson finished in a 2:08.66. In the 4×100 meter relay, Coronado placed 2nd behind Pine Creek with a time of 45.27 seconds to  their 44.25 second time. Additionally the Boys Track and Field Team then placed first in the 4×800 Meter Relay and the Sprint Medley. Ladarius Mays, 10, and Justin Dwinell then scored in the long jump placing 4th and 6th, and Christian Lesser, 12, finished 6th in the high jump. Charles Broomfield, 12, finished out the scoring winning both the discus and the shot put, and hopefully a spot at the State Championships in May.

Broomfield, a two-time state qualifier added, “My own performances were a solid foundation for the beginning of the season, but I will definitely be looking to make improvements to become a real contender for the track team.”

The Coronado Girls Team placed 2nd behind Pine Creek as well with a score of 116-110 and began the meet placing 2nd in the Sprint Medley only behind Doherty followed by a win in the 4×800 meter relay in a time of 10:21.99 which was more than one minute faster than the 2nd place team. Following the success in the first two relays, Coronado also took 4th in the 4×100 meter relay, and 2nd in the 4×200 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay. In the 100 meter dash Coronado had a 4th place finisher and a 7th place finisher from Janae Israel, 10, and Jasmyne Faunce, 10. The Cougars then had a 4th, 6th, and 7th place finish in the 800 meter run from Taylor Dutton, 12, Chloe Cassens, 12, and Faith Roth, 12; Dutton had a finishing time of 2:36.76 seconds. There was also success in the 1600 meter run with Layla Roebke, 11, finishing 1st place with a time of 5:35.44 seconds and Grace Abernethy and Taylor Dutton finishing 3rd and 6th in the same event. In addition, Isabella Lyda, 11, took 4th in the 100 meter hurdles and 7th in the 300 meter hurdles.

State qualifier Jaelyn Hershberger added, “I thought the newcomers adjusted well to the higher level of competition and worked hard, and the veterans came out strong leading them. Personally, I did better than I expected for my first meet, and I started the season right where I left off last season which is promising.”

Hershberger, 12, finished 1st in long jump with a distance of 16’ 10.00’’ and 2nd in the triple jump hoping to again qualify for the Track and Field State Championships. Tinah Muhammed, 9, also placed 6th in the long jump and triple jump, and Kayley Bratcher, 9, placed 8th in the high jump. In the discus, Mallory Brown, 12, placed 5th and Sanaya Jones placed 8th in the shot put to finish up the scoring.

“The team as a whole seemed to do well, and as the season gets into full swing I expect a lot of athletes to really hit their strides,” stated Charles Broomfield.

To see the Cougars continue to “hit their strides” and take on some competition down south at the Pueblo Centennial Meet, be sure to come down and support at Dutch Clark Stadium this Saturday!