Rugby Runs to a Loss

Both varsity and junior varsity rugby take a hard fought loss against Monarch High School.

Lindsey Murray and/or Becca Bieda

These rugby players are all bunched together doing some rugbying.

Becca Bieda, Staff Writer

Since Coronado doesn’t have its own Rugby team, a handful of Coronado students play with the D11 district-wide Palmer Terrors team. These students include Dillon Marlow 12, Dylan Kleckner 11, Beau Thompson 11, Tyler Clark 12, AJ Smalls 12, Brock Stinson 12, Troy Renner 12, Deagan Foster 11, Quaid Foster 10, Nate Marquez 12, and Aiden Ward 12.

The team’s first game was Saturday, 3/3, against Monarch High School. Unfortunately, both varsity and junior varsity lost, each taking 24-10 losses, but the Palmer Terrors put up a fight. Beau Thompson, 11, outside center, commented, “both variety and junior varsity played well, JV had a rocky start but come second period, we started to play like a team and… score[d] some points. Overall, I think we’ll have a good season.”

Senior Brock Stinson, fly half and captain of the varsity team,said, “it was a really good match all around, even though the score doesn’t say so… it was a close game until the end. Both sides had good defense, Monarch was just a bit better in certain areas.” Despite their loss, future of the season is positive, and the team is really excited. Brock Stinson says, “I’m really excited for the rest of the season. I feel like we have a really good chance at that state title again, we just have to sharpen out a few of the things we weren’t doing well on Saturday and focus on the game.” The rugby team made state two years ago and placed third last year. The next rugby game is Saturday 3/17, in Denver.