Football’s Off-Season Workouts Look to Help Team Stay Competitive.

Football, like all sports, have off season workouts; here is how it works:

Dylan Reeder, Staff Writer

Football, like most sports at Coronado, has an offseason workout regimen. The team meets from 3 to 5 after school Mondays thru Thursdays and starting April 2nd will start hour-long morning practices from 6am to 7am, Mondays thru Thursdays as well. The football program will do these practices through the end of the school year, then go to the University of Northern Colorado for a team camp shortly after the school year ends. After that, the football program has summer workouts called “Summer Speed Camp” which last for 7 weeks. During Summer Speed Camp, players focus on weight training, stamina technique, and position practice, alternating days between offense and defense. Players will have a week off between Summer Speed Camp and “Summer Team Camp,” where players will have their first actual practice days in pads, allowing them an opportunity to test out gear and focus on team scrimmages.

After a busy Summer season, the team will start school again and have their regular practice. Obviously the team has limited days off and has very occasional off weeks, but for most players the load is huge. The football team goes for about 10 months in a year, only having November and December off. There is always something going on, there is constant practicing. Freshman football player Elijah Border says “Its good something is always going on. It keeps us in shape and we stay connected throughout the off season”. Obviously football players that are in winter and spring sports don’t have to do the after school practices, as they are at practice for their other sport, but the practices are busy with rebuilding the program at Holmes with our high school coaches training the Holmes athletes so in a few years, they already have great coaching and are ready to compete. Players seem to think something special is going on in Coronado football with the work the team puts in inside the weight room daily and the time they sacrifice in summer to get better. They don’t have an off-season because they are always working towards one thing, a ring and another championship for Coronado football.