Working to Find Work!

5 quick and easy tips to make your summer job search easier.

Working to Find Work!

Isabella Janney, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again – summer job season! Whether this is your first time looking for a job or you’re a pro at applying for work, this time of year is stressful for everyone; add having to look for a job, and even the most laid back student can find themself stressed out.

So, here are some quick and easy tips, as well as job opportunities, to help you out and to make your springtime a stress-free time so your summer can be a time of getting paid:

1. Start your search NOW! (Or actually, yesterday. Really, the sooner the better, when it comes to looking for jobs.) Employers look for ambitious and accountable potential employees, so give yourself a leg up from the get-go and start applying now!
  2. Make yourself a resume! Yes – many job applications include custom resumes, but making your own generic resume is easy and will make your application memorable. Include your contact info, like phone numbers and emails, some personal info, like the reasons you’re looking for a job, and even a picture of yourself! Anything out of the ordinary will make your application stand out. And, talk yourself up! Resumes are one place where bragging really does benefit you, so make sure to include every little league and elementary school citizenship award you have received!
  3. Meet people! Sure – online applications are easy and not stressful. Meeting someone in person, however, is the way to go if you really want to make an impression. Introducing yourself to the manager or owner is ideal, but any employee you get to know will help your application along.
  4. Apply where your friends are working! Seriously – this one is so easy, it almost feels like cheating. If your friends work at a place where the managers will ask current employees to recommend new employees or at a place where the managers will be influenced by recommendations, then you’ve got a serious advantage!
  5. Be persistent! There’s no such thing as being annoying when it comes to looking for jobs – check back in. Call in and ask about your resume or visit in person and ask to talk to the manager, again. Sometimes, employers are forgetful or (surprisingly!) not on top of things. Checking back in can sometimes make the difference between getting the job or not.

Whether you’re looking to make some money, gain valuable work experience, or just have way too much extra time on your hands, getting a job is a rewarding and valuable experience for any teenager. So, get out there, Cougars, and make that cash!

picture credit: http://chs.camas.wednet.edu/career/2017/03/10/another-summer-job-opportunity/