Rocket to be Released?

Roman Sorrels, Staff Writer

Aerospace engineering, one of Coronado’s many Stem programs available to students is now in the process of designing, crafting, and testing their own individual Estes Rockets. Which is not only one of the largest projects of the year, but also the most interesting.

To begin the major project, students began to use various programs to brainstorm and visualize the aircraft they wanted. These initial drafts slowly took form as each simulation was ran, calculating how the rockets would perform, allowing further redesigns. Moving on to building the rocket, in Autodesk, a platform allowing students to craft their designs, with specific and exact measurements. When finished with the final draft of their Estes Rocket, the Nose and Transitions of each was 3D printed, meanwhile the aerospace engineers used carbon fiber covered in resin to mold the tubes that would soon hold the motor and parachutes. Finishing the rockets by attaching laser cut fins to the fuselage.

Junior Bennett Spengler states that it “was definitely the most fun thing we’ve done all year” and many of the other engineers feel the same. This activity did require large amounts of patience, care, and attention to each step of crafting their own individual rockets.

However, due to Colorado’s dry climate and extremely high fire danger, the testing of the rockets is put on hold till perfect and safe conditions to be able to launch. Which gives students both more time “perfect” the rocket, and less time to launch before the school year ends. Hopefully, the springs will be treated to rain or even snow before the school year’s end.