A Note-Worthy Performance- Orchestra Never Falls Flat

Gaby Stenholm, Staff Writer

Thursday night, 5/10/18, Coronado’s two orchestras went out with a bang in their final performance of the year.  For director Paul Jacobson, the closing of this particular school year has been especially sentimental, as he is soon to watch his first class of seniors graduate whom he has directed for all four years.  In celebration of four excellent years under Mr. Jacobson’s leadership, seniors presented him with an extra sweet gift before their final song- $40 worth of chocolate! “Mr. Jacobson has really helped us to grow and improve as musicians, as well as to experience a wide range of pieces.  I know I’m much more versatile as a player than I used to be,” chamber violinist Katherina Stewart, 12, claimed. And Mr. Jacobson was not the only significant member recognized last night. At the customary pre-concert awards banquet, a few excellent musicians were also acknowledged. Brook Cassens, 9, Piper Colton, 10, Haley Curren, 11, earned the outstanding freshman, sophomore, and junior musician awards, respectively, and Isaac Ross, 12, was granted the National Orchestra Member Award. Congratulations to these dedicated students!

The hard work put in by both the performers and their director certainly paid off last night.  Before the final concert of each school year, chamber orchestra students audition to perform a solo concerto.  Though all chamber members are capable of wowing the crowd with their skill, it was one especially noteworthy cellist who took the cake this year.   Haley Curren, 11, stunned the audience with a jaw-dropping Schuman Cello Concerto solo which spanned nearly six minutes and earned the talented junior a rare standing ovation from an adoring audience.  Audience member Hamish Shepherd, 11, stated, “I’m always amazed to hear Haley perform. It never gets old.” Haley was accompanied by the rest of the chamber orchestra, as well as several members of the band, who also joined the orchestra in performing their next two songs, soundtracks from Star Wars and Guardians of the Galaxy.

“We are so grateful to the band,” director Paul Jacobson exclaimed.  “They give their time just to help us make music, and aren’t we so much better with them?”  The combination of band and orchestra, also known as full orchestra, is a popular treat for the end of each year, as the two musical groups will also perform together for graduation.  “Are you sad you missed the last orchestra concert? Just come to graduation!” Mr. Jacobson said with enthusiasm. The group will be showcasing their music once more on Wednesday, May 25th at the World Arena before the seniors head off for good.  “Truly, these students had a great four years.” Mr Jacobson said in acknowledgment of the seniors. Congratulations and good luck to our most musical Cougars!