5 Fun Activities For Summer

Roman Sorrels, Staff Writer

As we all know summer is incoming and we can only re-watch The Office so many times. Therefore, here are 5 activities to help fill your Summer Schedule and distract you from returning to Fortnite.

1. Hiking
    1. For many, hiking is a centerpiece in colorado life, since it is fun, healthy and cheap. Simply throw on a pair of tennis shoes and begin your journey through parks like Garden of the Gods, Ute Valley, Palmer Park, and Red Rocks Open Space. Each of these parks is within a fair proximity of Coronado making the drive quick and easy. Remember that it is summer, so heat will be a major factor. Pack water and something to protect your fragile skin from our universe’s flashlight.
  2. Fishing
    1. A staple of Colorado is the various fishing opportunities in the area. There are plenty of locations to catch some trout, including: Quail Lake, Sinton Pond, Prospect Lake, Palmer Lake, and Monument Lake. Some of these do require a short drive, but they each offer fairly good fishing. If you are looking for a little bit better quality fishing, you have the Pueblo, Palmer, and Manitou Reservoirs available.
  3. Biking
    1. Don’t have a car and dislike long-distance running? Well look no further than your bicycle. Not only can you create an adventure for yourself, while you bike up and down the Springs’ many trails, but also prevent any emissions in the process. Plus, anytime you decide to use your bike instead, you get stronger, healthier, and help the environment.
  4. Hammocking
    1. This is one of the very few activities where you can be completely relaxed yet in nature. All you need is two trees (and a hammock) to “hang” out. While this isn’t the most “athletic” thing to do this summer it can be a nice break from the vast amounts of fishing or hiking.
  5. Climbing
    1. A major activity that many students are gravitating towards is Rock Climbing. This summer, be a part of trend, with different options of where and how you can climb. If you are looking to get fit or maintain that summer bod then look no further than indoor climbing gyms such as CityRock or SCC, where many of our Cougars climb everyday. Meanwhile, you also have outdoor climbing as an option. Though this can be much more difficult, outdoor bouldering or top-roping allows you to be outdoors and in nature. Make sure that you go with someone who has climbed before to avoid hurting/embarrassing yourself.

Wherever you go for summer, whether you stay in the Springs or travel abroad, make sure you have fun, stay safe and keep it classy.