Heavy Hearts and High Hopes for Cross Country!

Chloe+Cassens+and+returning+runners+Grace+Abernethy+and+Maddy+Morland+off+to+a+strong+start.+

Chloe Cassens and returning runners Grace Abernethy and Maddy Morland off to a strong start.

Isabella Janney, Co-Editor in Chief

Headed into the 2018 season, the boys and girls cross country team have a lot to look forward to.  With experienced and talented seniors as well as tough, hardworking freshmen on both sides, The running program has a lot to look forward to, especially as they head into 4A competition this year, down from 5A.

On the boys side, this season looks to overcome any disappointment from last year.  The boys failed to qualify as a team for the State Meet, but that was in large part due to CHSAA’s organization of the Regional competition: the boys had to be in the top four teams to qualify and their region produced the top three teams in the state, as well as number eight.

Working in the boys’ favor this fall will be the strong finish to the track season for several varsity runners.  Ben Swanson, 12, Charlie Schroeder, 11, and Eric White, 11, ended up on the State podium for the 4×800 relay. They hope to carry that momentum into the cross country season, along with returning varsity runner Ben Hayes-Lemmon, 11, and surprising freshman Z Engstrom. With some hard work and a strong team effort, the boys could move towards the post-season with some confidence.

For the girls, a late-summer surprise will take its toll on the prospects for success, but incoming young runners will hope to keep the momentum going for this squad that finished 12th in state last year at 5A.  With less than a month before the season opened, Coronado learned that returning runner Layla Roebke, 12, would actually not be returning. Roebke has transferred to Niwot and hopefully the girls will get to see their former teammate at some races this year.  Already working to overcome the loss of graduates Chloe Cassens, now on a D1 cross country scholarship, Taylor Dutton, and Hannah Besse, the loss of Roebke means the girls will have to reevaluate their definition of success. Returning varsity runners Grace Abernethy, 11, Madeline Morland, 12, and Faith Roth, 12, all have experience at the State level and look to return this year.  An increase in summer preparations by Shauna Mackay, 12, and Lauren Strizich, 11, along with the addition of freshmen Ary Mascarenas and Avah Houger mean the Cougars still stand a solid chance at success.

The first real test for the teams will come this Friday, Aug 24, at the Cheyenne Mountain Stampede, which is run on the same course as the State Championships.  The Cougars will likely see many of the top teams in the state and get a good measure of how much hard work they will have to put in to find success in October.