Varsity Boys Tennis Is Causing a Racket!

Coach Philipsen and Ian Lewis,12, believe that the ball is in the team’s court this season.

Raven Sanchez, Staff Writer

Coronado’s varsity boys tennis team currently resides in between matches, but they have a solid start to the season. With a 3-2 season so far, the boys are working their hardest to make three wins into four. Tennis involves extreme coordination and agility, which are skills that are often difficult to obtain. Coach Philipsen is definitely working his team hard to make sure that these skills become second nature.

The team is learning to improve essential skills in a more competitive and realistic fashion, thanks to their coach. “We have set individual and team goals to work towards, as well as identifying our weaknesses that we will work on this week. With a few challenge matches, we are keeping things very competitive this week at practice,” Coach Philipsen stated.

The team will be facing Doherty this week, who has a 3-1 standing. This will be a tough team to best because they have almost equal statistics at this point in the season, but Coronado’s final placement in the Kadet Kickoff Tournament has given our team high hopes for the next game.

Ian Lewis, 12, is proud of the results of the tournament.“We didn’t win both of our tournaments this year, but at least we won the first one, so I’m pretty happy about it,” he shared. The team came in 4th out of 12 in the tournament this year.

The team is working on becoming aware of their strengths while continuing to realize that teamwork and communication are making their team successful. “Our strengths are communication and being there for each other and supporting each other,” said Lewis. They may not have all of their strengths figured out yet, but the team feels prepared for their next game. They have specific goals, both personal and team oriented, to strive towards. Coach Philipsen has an exceptionally specific goal in mind, which he claims involves “pushing us to compete for and hopefully win the CSML title this year.”

The team practices everyday with this goal in the back of their heads, but every member has their own goal to focus on. Lewis’s goal was straightforward, simple, and comical enough to make him laugh when he said: ”Um, winning.”

The team will be playing Doherty High School on the Tuesday, September 11th. The match will be at home and starts at 3:45. The JV tennis team will be playing on September 11th as well and will also be up against Doherty High School. Their game starts at 3:45 and will be at Doherty High School. Go and support our tennis boys!