Global Leaders Empowers Students

Tiandrea Rice, Staff Writer

This program is a year long leadership program and a 13 day trip to Guatemala led by Joe Fontana, who organized the trip. The program started in 1997 and it is still going strong today. Global leaders helps students grow in their communities, at home and abroad.

This program is for high school students who want to help people in need. Participating students learn Spanish before they go on the trip so they can communicate with their host families as well as other people in the community that they are helping.

Global leaders has impacted many communities in a variety of ways: on one trip, they helped a community build a wall next to their school because the school was on a hill so when it rained the school would get flooded. They have also volunteered at children’s hospitals to help special needs kids as well as to help kids and families by providing food, shoes, and other supplies. On one occasion, there were families that had to use open fire to cook and they were getting sick so Global Leaders provided new stoves for those families.

If you are interested in this program, the number is (970) 566-3776 and their website is www.glcoca.org. There will be a meeting that both the parent and student need to attend on Thursday, September 6th from 6:00 to 7:30pm at 2418 W. Pikes Peak Avenue (Old Colorado City Library).