Breaking Dutch Bros. Down

Roman Sorrels, Staff Writer

Here at Coronado there are two things that most students have in common: out of control hormones and an explainable love for Dutch Bros (and apparently killing our insides with sugar).

To start off let me ask you this; would you drink a can of Coke for breakfast?

1-If you said yes please stop and rethink your diet

2-If no, yet you drink Dutch on your way to school, see number one

What if I told you that simply drinking a 12 ounce mocha (or small) would not only fulfill but go over your recommended sugar intake for the entire day (which is 25 grams)? Now assuming the students here don’t only buy unflavored mochas, I’ll break down some health facts (provided by Dutch Bros’) of the more popular drinks available. First, the “Golden Eagle” holds 59 grams of sugar for a “small”, which is drinking more than a can of Coke in the morning. Then we have the “Christmas Morning,” 53 grams. Both of these are twice the amount recommended for the entire day. Essentially drinking a small “White Chocolate Chai” at 7 in the morning will be more than enough sugar for today and tomorrow.

Now all of that equates to being unhealthy, but some take Dutch to the next level: lunch. Assuming that a student goes to breakfast and lunch for Dutch, they will be digesting about 70 to 120 grams of sugar if they buy a small. Not only is this 3x the recommended amount, but some students follow this routine every weekday. Keep in mind that we’re not taking into account sugar sources other than Dutch bros.

Now I think that it is fair to say that we all know that drinking Dutch isn’t good for you, and at the end of the day it comes down to your daily choices, so make the right one.