Boys Basketball: Close Win Over Pine Creek

Thomas Shoemaker, Staff Writer

The Cougars took a trip on the 23 of January to the home of the Eagles to play a league game, looking for a win. The Cougars set out for victory, and despite Pine Creek’s season record of 12-4, they felt confident heading into their house that they could get a win.

We got off to a slow start in the first, only scoring six points, as well as allowing 19. But we came back in the second quarter, only allowing eight points due to swarming defense. The Cougars also scored 19 in that quarter, bringing the score at halftime to 27-25 with Pine Creek leading.

Both offenses were less dominant in the third quarter, Coronado scoring 10 points, and Pine Creek scoring six. The score going into the fourth was 35-33 with Coronado leading. This one was looking like it could go right down till the final buzzer. Both offenses bounced back from a stagnant third quarter, scoring at will. Pine Creek outscored the Cougars in the fourth, scoring 19 points. But the Cougars scored 18 points in the quarter, and hung on for the win. The final score was 53-52.

It was an impressive win for the Cougars, sending them to 6-10 on the season and dropping Pine Creek to 12-5. The leading scorers in this one were Ladarius Mays, with 17 points, and Brycen Scherr with 16. Bryce Mckee led the team in assists with three, and Brycen Scherr pulled down ten rebounds to lead the team.

It was a good win for the Cougars, moving them to 6-10 on the year and keeping them in contention to grab second place in the league. They had their chance to do that against Palmer, but lost against the tribe 70-63 in another close game. Ladarius Mays lead the way in scoring once again, putting up 23 points. Brycen Scherr had another double-double, putting in 18 points and 10 rebounds. Bryce Mckee chipped in six points and two assists to the cause, as well as getting four steals.

Our next game is against Doherty, but it will be played at Wasson High School. This game will be honoring Schafer Reichart, who is fighting for his life up in Denver after coming down with a severe case of the flu. Let’s go out and support our Cougars, and Schafer Reichart, on Tuesday the 29th at 7.