Men’s Basketball: Tough Loss to Liberty

Thomas Shoemaker, Staff Writer

On Tuesday night, the Cougars traveled to Liberty High School to play a League game against the Lancers. The last time these two teams faced off, the Cougars and Lancers went to overtime, and the Cougars took home the win in OT with a score of 62-61. Both teams came out ready to play, both of them being fairly equal teams.

The Cougars came out strong on offense, keeping up with the opposing Lancers offensive attack; the score at the end of the first quarter stood at 26-19 Lancers. Both teams were still battling it out in the second quarter, but the offenses went stagnant as the Lancers scored 12 and the Cougars scored 11. The score at half had the Lancers up on the Cougars 38-30.  The Cougars came out with the same stagnant offense in the third, only scoring 13, as well as allowing the Lancers to score 24 in the quarter. The Cougars put up a fight in the fourth, outscoring Liberty 14-12 in the quarter. But it was not enough as the Cougars would fall in a tough game 74-57.

Both teams went into this game with losing records, Coronado having a 6-13 record and Liberty standing at 8-10. The win for the Lancers brought them to 9-10, getting them one step closer to a five-hundred record. The Cougars, however, took a step back in the rankings, falling to 6-14 on the season. The stats for this game were not recorded, but the score shows the story of the game.

The Cougars next game is on Friday the 8th at 7:00. We take on the 14-6 Fountain-Fort Carson at their place. It should be a fun one as the last time these two teams met, the final score was low scoring, but close, at 58-54. Be sure to go support Cougar basketball on Friday night.