Open House

Cassie Lewis and Sam Strait

At the Open House on the Sep 3, parents gathered at the school to meet their children’s educators and hear about the upcoming years’ curriculum. The evening was kicked off with a performance by our very own jazz band, then Mr. Smith spoke to the parents and students in attendance about his goals for the year. As the night went on, parents went around to their children’s classes and met the teachers, where the teachers spoke about their expectations and plans for the new school year, and how many of the new programs are helping the students here at Coronado.
Mr. Smith made a few predictions about the sports programs that we have this year. “Golf is going to win a state championship. Our men’s soccer team, they’re going to go to the playoffs, my prediction-sky’s the limit for them. Tennis team, they’re going to send some of their players to state this year. Volleyball is a state-bound team – it will be the first time they’ve gone to state in 5A in 15 years. Softball is absolutely getting better. Softball is as good as last year and probably better than they’ve been in 5 years. Football is a young team, they have a lot of strong senior leaders and they’re going to be competitive. – Boys and girls cross country, the girls’ team is younger, but strong. -They’re a very talented team. ”
Mr. Yeh talked about how the new Learning Center is really helping students and advancing our school’s test scores in Math. “It’s been a big help-the data shows it – but some of the students that maybe need just that one question answered, but don’t have the same lunch as their teacher or can’t meet after school because of athletics, now they have somewhere to go for guidance and to strengthen their skills.”
Ms. Essick discussed how she started teaching this year as teacher opposed to last year as a student teacher.“I feel wonderful, I think that’s really what prepared for this year, teaching alone. Without especially Ms. Johnson, I would not be as prepared as I am now.” Ms. Essick taught World History with Mrs.Johnson last year; whereas, this year she’s on her own. It’s nice getting paid now for doing what I love, I loved last year and it’s still kind of surreal. The major differences are the pay, having my own classroom, and the prep. Last year I could concentrate on one class, now I have three. So that makes it a lot more difficult.”
Overall, the Open House was beneficial because it gave the parents and some of the students some key information about the school year to come and what to expect. Hopefully everyone that attended had a great time and learned something that they didn’t know before. Hope to see you at the next one.