No Limitations for Future After High School

The future can be scary, but luckily there are many options for students.!

Gracie Nowlan, Editor

Children from past generations may have felt boxed in when it came to life after that high school diploma. The “social norm” was going to college right after schooling from preschool up until the 12th grade. Although there were still other options, college was the least looked down upon, and the most encouraged option for these graduating students.

The modern world speaks to kids more freely, especially those on their way to graduating from high school. The vast number of opportunities for students is continuing to grow as people are opening their minds to more than just a college pathway. High schooler’s have a wide range of options to continue their lives and hopefully, become successful. College, of course, is a crucial step in the right direction for those who know what career they want, perhaps in the medical field or education, etc., where a college degree is required. Even though it is always a possibility to switch majors, most students would rather not spend the time or money on something they may end up changing, although a major switch still provides students with more perspective and ideas on their future career. Many high schoolers opt to further their education with a college degree, but college, like everything, is not always the right fit for everyone.

Other high schoolers may decide to enlist in the military, through which they can still attend college, while the branch they are in pays for it, helping to take away the stresses of student debt. Enlisting in the military opens a lot of doors that for most kids would not be open otherwise, giving them opportunity for future careers, immediate salary, and even retirement if they so choose. Kids who are unable to pay for the expenses of a college tuition and all the extras that come with it, have a way to make money while also earning their education in the process. Patrick Nowlan, a 20 year retired United States Air Force veteran, comments that there are “never ending opportunities presented by joining the military, including job education/training, travel, life and leadership skills.” Mr. Nowlan puts it blatantly that, “it was the best decision [he] had ever made.” Again, the military is not for everyone, but luckily there are more choices for all students to find what is best for them.

Another popular option for high schoolers is taking a gap year after graduation, either working, traveling, or sleeping in their parent’s basement. There are a myriad of travel opportunities with charity and volunteer work, as well as just taking the year to travel with saved up funds. Overall, high school is a way for students to try and figure out what career they would like to further explore and the year right after graduation can be spent in a variety of ways, and it is up to the teenagers to slowly begin to piece together their lives.