Market Day Was a Success!

Oliver Bushman and Max Garza working hard at their waffle stand.

Alexandra Micci, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, April 19th, Coronado High School’s Aux Gym was transformed into a market for students and staff to enjoy. Market Day is a day where students from the Entrepreneurship and Marketing classes get a chance to make their own small business. This event is “a capstone event where students get to utilize the skills and knowledge they gained in the course over the semester,” said Mrs. Brandt, the coordinator and head of the Market Day event.

Each student participating gets freedom to choose their business, and can keep any profits that they may make. According to Brandt, “Students come up with their own ideas…students are responsible for all creation, planning, development, promotion, and execution of their final business idea.” During market day, products such as tacos, smoothie bowls, drinks, snacks, muffins, and more are sold to the student body.

During this past Market Day, students, staff, and even some parents got to enjoy the spirit of a free market with 41 different stands offering a variety of products. Oliver Bushman and Max Garza’s waffle business all turned a heavy profit and were crowd favorites this past Wednesday.

Justus Schnakenberg, one of the “owners” of the Nutella filled French toast stand stated that, “I think our business was successful, but [in the end] we could have done better…at the end of the day we started selling half a sandwich for $2, but in the beginning we sold a full sandwich for the same price, so together we lost money.” He also added, “I would definitely do this again and I [recommend] that everyone should at least try it out.” While this year’s Market Day was a success, the class is already looking forward to making next year’s even better!