The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Senior Owen Browen Suffers Knee Injury in Quarter Finals of State Tennis Match

On Friday, September 29 the boy’s tennis team made their way down to Pueblo City Park to play in the 4A State Tennis Quarterfinals. Two of these players were Owen Browen, Class of 2024, and his doubles partner Cody Ross, Class of 2024, who plays for, but does not attend, Coronado. The two seniors were up against Mullen, with the match being in Coronado’s favor after the second set.

Unfortunately, Owen suffered a knee injury towards the end of the match: “I reached out to the left, planted my foot and then went to the right to get the ball, but my knee only partially followed me.” Owen had dislocated his right knee: “I hit the game winning shot for the game, and even though we were then winning… we had to retire because I couldn’t play anymore.” When asked about his thoughts about his injury, he claimed, “My first thought was ‘oh cool, so that’s what a dislocated knee looks like’… I thought about what I would do now that I couldn’t walk or drive.”

The injury has not stopped Owen from being satisfied with his senior season, saying, “It does suck that I can’t enjoy my final moments as a senior player and the captain at that, but I believe that after working so hard and seeing my teammates do the same, I can be proud of how far we’ve come.” The boys’ tennis team has a record of 12-2; they won two tournaments with 5A teams competing, and Owen and Cody even placed first in their region. “We did the best we’ve ever done before as a team and even though it was a bittersweet ending… I’m still satisfied to leave behind our legacy and motivate the newer players to do their best”

Coronado’s Tennis Courts