The Cougar Daily

• Coronado State Testing - April 16, juniors arrive at 7:40 and sophomores at 11:30 - April 17, freshman arrive at 7:40 and juniors arrive at 11:30 for CMAS
  • Coronado band receives $35,000 grant to refurbish their band room
  • Juniors/Sophomores take the SAT/PSAT on April 16th, Freshmen take the PSAT and Juniors take the CMAS on April 17.
  • Space Symposium Happening at the Broadmoor Hotel: Space Companies and Organizations Meet from All Over the World to Display What's Happening in the Space Industry and Collaborate

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Why is College So Stressful to High School Seniors?

Common App Homepage: Colleges are now moving applications towards a common app that’s linked to schools for an easier common place to apply for college.

In this world, there are numerous opportunities available for seniors, and both seniors and their support systems need to acknowledge and understand that it is okay to not have all the answers, as Mr. Holm and District Eleven strive to emphasize, the diversity of post-secondary education options besides just college, like joining the military, going to a trade school, career start, pursuing culinary education, and more.

These options present the best and the worst scenarios for graduating seniors. Offering this variety of after-graduation plans helps students discover what they want to do and helps students find a career that they love. However, the options can look daunting to many. “Students have the world in their hands after graduation. The hardest part is deciding what to do,” explains Mr. Holm, Coronado’s Senior Counselor.

Mr. Holm works with 300-plus seniors to create individual plans for each senior for their years after graduation. Currently, “the biggest stress on seniors is the unknown; the unknown is scary, and a lot of the seniors don’t have a great idea of what next year looks like.” Each student at Coronado is unique, with different aspirations for life, which is why Mr. Holm prioritizes creating unique plans to meet each senior’s specific needs.

The majority of the senior class has no idea about their future plans, and parents and society significantly contribute to the stress seniors face, expecting them to attend a 4-year college and have a definitive plan set in place. It is a common misconception that seniors need to have their entire life planned out and a definite path to follow graduation. Success is not tied to having a rigid plan laid out. According to The University of Tulsa, the average college student changes their major at least three times.

It is extremely common for seniors to graduate without having a complete plan set in place and that is. The transition from high school to the next step in life is a journey; therefore, embrace the uncertainty and step forward with confidence, knowing that not having all the answers is not a limitation, but a recognition of life’s potential.