The Cougar Daily

• AP Testing Starts Next Week!
  • Three Coronado Cougars in top 18 for 800m Run in 4A; Xzavier Campos, Parker Davidson, and Eisen Dacus
  • Coronado Wins The Cougar Classic with 99 points!
  • Advanced Acting Showcase moved to May 11th, 2023 @7:00pm

The Cougar Daily

The Cougar Daily

Polls

What do you call them?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Should You Go To College?

Should You Go To College?

Often students in high school can’t decide whether they will attend college; they’ll ask themselves if college is even worth it, so is college worth it for you? Generally, college graduates often have a higher earning and employment rate, and most high employment places won’t hire unless you have a college degree.

What can people get out of college, Utah State University states that “adults with higher levels of education have overall healthier lifestyles.” College can also improve life skills, career opportunities, personal development, and an opportunity to broaden your education. “College opens many opportunities such as meeting new people, getting a higher education, and getting new experiences.” said, Leilani Yeager , Class of 2025.

Many struggle to decide whether they would like to go to college or not; the main reasons are, the cost, years of student loan debt, skills unnecessary for the job they intend to go to, and opportunity loss. Opportunity loss is due to the amount of time spent on college rather than training and working for the job wanted.

One way to avoid going into debt from college is to save money and go to a cheaper college such as a community college, rather than a state university. Going into debt from college can be hard to get out of; that’s why many students try to get a scholarship; you can get a Merit-based scholarship by having a good high school GPA, or by doing a sport in high school and getting an athletic scholarship from there.

Finding out if college is for you, you’ll have to decide for yourself; there are many pros and cons of college. Sometimes the pros will outweigh the cons or the cons will outweigh the pros, it just depends on the person. Everyone’s college experience is different so people should do your own research on the college you may be interested in. Mr Hoffer, a Social studies and College readiness teacher said, “College experiences can vary for different people, going to college can be useful but in some cases not necessary.”