Varsity Hockey Mid-Season Update

Junior+Max+Van+Lancker+travels+up-rink.+

Junior Max Van Lancker travels up-rink.

Grace Abernethy, Staff Writer

Nearly half way through their season, the Coronado varsity hockey team has had it all: narrow defeats, overtime excitement, and blowout wins. The last couple games have been marked by definitive wins and close losses. And with the help of valuable freshman like Travis Pochipinski on defense and Cole Brooker as a forward, the future is looking even better for Coronado Hockey. Added to the Cougars, according to senior Beau Foos, “working better as a team”, the Coronado hockey has kept improving year by year.

Valor Christian

On 12/17 the Cougars took on the #2 ranked Highlands Hockey League team of Valor Christian. The Eagles scored the first goal of the game, and the Cougars answered back in the second period with a goal. However, Valor Christian scored soon after to take the lead once again, 2-1. In the next period the Eagles extended their lead to 3-1 with another goal, and with little time remaining, the Cougars failed to score again.

Liberty

Two days later, on 12/19, away at Liberty, the Cougars defeated Liberty 5-1 with great teamwork and effort. The games started off with a bang as Lou Levy scored a mere 13 seconds into the game. Tanner Mayberry, 12, had one of his best games of the season to date, getting a phenomenal hat trick, and with Max VanLancker, 11, adding in a goal of his own, the Cougars took a dominating win against Liberty.

Valor Christian

On the first day of Winter Break, 12/21, the 3-4 Cougars hoped to use the momentum of the last game to avenge their loss to Valor Christian earlier in the season. After the first period the Cougars were down 0-1, but Ian Wark, 11,  put the Cougars put the Cougars on the board 1-1 before a late goal by Valor Christian, leaving the Cougars down by one leading into the third period. Held scoreless by the Eagles in the third period, the Cougars ended up taking their fifth loss in a 1-3 defeat. Despite the loss, the Cougars left the game with Tanner Mayberry ranked second in the state in points, and Beau Foos first in saves.

Mullen

The Cougars easily defeated Mullen 6-0 on January 1st, and improved their record to a solid 4-5. Ian Wark, Andrew Burton, 11, Tanner Mayberry, and Jack Cintron pitched in with a goal each, Cintron with his first Varsity goal. In an outstanding effort  Marley Machin pitched in two for the team. Meanwhile on defense, goalie Beau Foos achieved his first career shut-out.

Pueblo County

Against the 4-3 Pueblo County Hornets the Cougars struggled to get rolling and finished the game with only one goal to Pueblo County’s four, unfortunately taking their sixth loss of the season, bringing their record to 4-6.

Come support Coronado Hockey at their next home games on 1/23 at 8:45PM at Sertich, and 1/26 at Sertich at 8:45PM. Good luck Cougars!