Food Review: Uchenna Ethiopian Restaurant

One+of+the+many+fabulous+dishes+that+can+be+found+at+Uchenna+Ethiopian+Restaurant%21+
One of the many fabulous dishes that can be found at Uchenna Ethiopian Restaurant!

Conor Strizich, Staff Writer

We all have those select restaurants where we love to eat, but sometimes we naturally close our minds to food outside of our comfort zones.  The Uchenna Ethiopian Restaurant in Old Colorado City is one location that will surprise your taste buds, and expand your appreciation for food that you may not encounter everyday.  

Upon first walking into the restaurant, you will notice how the savory smell of the kitchen fills every corner.  The paintings and pictures that cover the walls throw you right into the foreign Ethiopian culture.  The extremely friendly staff welcomes you, and proceeds to treat you as family throughout the meal.  

Amazing food must always be accompanied by amazing beverages, and Uchenna’s menu lived up to this expectation.  The Rose-Water Lemonade has a unique taste with a delightful hint of rose.  If you prefer warm drinks, the 100% Ethiopian Harar Coffee is a great option that has a calm, not-too-bitter taste.  It is not like a typical coffee, but it offers an interesting and rare aroma that I would absolutely recommend.  Last but certainly not least, the mango herbal tea will tingle your taste buds and raise your standards for other herbal teas.  If ordering just one drink, I would recommend the tea because it truly is some of the best in town.  

When eating Ethiopian food, one does not traditionally use silverware, but instead uses small strips of bread to pick up the food.  All of the dishes that I sampled were crafted to perfection, but I found the meat dishes to be most exceptional. The Vegetarian Combo is a combination of Misser Alecha, Misser Wat, Gomen, Shiro Wat, Fasolia , and Atakilt.  All components of the dish compliment each other very well, and I would recommend a side of Foul, another vegetarian dish.  The Goinen Besaega is “beef tenderloin seasoned with garlic, Onion, ginger, spices, and finished With collard greens,” as described by the restaurant’s menu.  Although I do not usually enjoy collard greens, the dish was perfectly spiced wish a very unique texture.  The flavor and aroma on the Goinen Besaega is one in which can not be found anywhere else.  The last dish I sampled at the Uchenna Ethiopian Restaurant was the Gyro, which obviously originates from Greece, but can easily be manipulated to fit into the Ethiopian menu by using various spices.  Though different, the Gyro at Uchenna is definitely a competitor against Gyros at restaurants such as Heart of Jerusalem.

Uchenna’s Ethiopian Restaurant is located on the corner of 25th and Colorado.  I would encourage everyone to give it a try and expand their appreciation for food from another culture.