Fun and Competition – Coronado’s Music Travels

Gabriel Maldonado, Staff Writer

As Coronado moves into the Spring semester, Choir, Band, and Orchestra are preparing to embark on national travel to compete in their respective disciplines and enjoy each other’s company across the country.

Coronado’s Band and Orchestra are already planning a four-day trip to Orlando, Florida later this year during spring break. Quinn Williams, Coronado’s principal bass player, and member of both the Pikes Peak Honor Orchestra and Colorado all-state orchestra, is one of the students embarking on the trip. She says that she’s excited, particularly because ”we’re competing in a national festival.” Before the competition, the class is planning on spending time in the Universal Park and Disney world as well as hitting the beach, which Williams is also looking forward to in addition to the competition. One of the only things she isn’t quite looking forward to is carrying her massive instrument, and the fact that “competition day is stressful.” Even though there are a few things dragging her down a little bit, Quinn still says the trip will be very enjoyable, and the Band and Orchestra are sure to do well in Florida.

The Coronado Choir is also planning to hit the road, though their road will be substantially shorter, only going to Winter Park, here in Colorado, for their festival. Ferryn Reuhl, who has been participating in music classes since elementary school, and a member of Coronado’s award-winning Cantadoras is already excited to compete, saying the competition will “be a good way to judge our skills”. During their trip, they also plan to have plenty of fun skiing and snowboarding while enjoying Winter Park.  

One negative is that both of the trips are fairly expensive, the Orchestra trip, for example, costs nearly $1500, but both Reuhl and Williams say that the price is justified for them, and there are plenty of fundraising opportunities to help alleviate the massive sticker-shock. Regardless of the price, Coronado is excited to see our Fine Arts Program take the National Stage and prove how great Coronado’s music program is!