Safety Promposals

Some ways to keep your prom night fun and safe this weekend!

Safety+Promposals

Avery Young, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that people tend to get down-n-dirty prom night – one cliche that never fails to  escape high school rom-coms and the backseat of your mom’s minivan. Instead of avoiding the topic and hoping for the best, here are some reminders for a safe and successful prom night.

1. Stay sober. Drivers should always always always refrain from consuming alcohol or any other substance that could potentially endanger anyone else in the car, and for everyone else, getting twisted is a bad idea too. Alcohol is already not permitted at prom, and that expectation should carry through the rest of the evening.
  2. From asking someone to dance to getting it on, consent is a must. The context of prom as a “tonight is the night” experience does not change the fact that no one owes anyone anything simply for agreeing to be a date to a school dance. If you don’t feel safe, you are allowed to leave. Finding another group or calling an Uber is, while perhaps socially not the most fulfilling, always an acceptable and smart option when necessary.
  3. Always use protection. As Mr. Stoughton said, “9 months from May makes for a terrible Valentine’s Day gift”. Pregnancy is not the only risk, of course, and it is important to be conscious of the physical and emotional implications of any big decision being made. While for some it may not be a big deal, the other person’s perspective is always important to keep in mind.
  4. Communicate with everyone involved. It’s easy to get overwhelmed at social events, especially with the added pressure of prom night to be the “best night ever”. Getting dressed up, going to dinner, and spending $40 on a ticket to a dance is supposed to be fun. If someone seems left out or not in the mood for what’s happening, you can always ask if they are okay. Even if nothing is going on, they’ll more likely than not appreciate you for being considerate.
  5. Remember to have fun! Try not to get too caught up in making the night memorable and just enjoy yourself in the moment.