Brew-tiful Performances Abound at First Cougar Coffeehouse

Joseph Wilkinson

We hope you find your new favorite cup of coffee at one of these shops!

Bekah Redinger, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Performing on stage at Coronado is one of the most exciting parts of our culture available to students. One of the ways that people can get in on our performing culture is to put on an act at one several Cougar Coffeehouses throughout the year, all of which allow a great way for any student or teacher to be a part of a larger community.

The first coffeehouse of the 2017-2018 school year took place on Thursday, September 14, at 6:30, in the auditorium. Students from all grades, and even some teachers, got up on stage to show off their talents and skills, stunning everyone in attendance with acts included singing, dancing, poetry, and comedy.

Daniel Peterson, 12, was one such performer, who demonstrated his ability to play piano and sing. “It was really fun, I was really scared but then I was really happy,” he said. He added that the best part of the coffeehouse is how “no one, no matter how talented or what act is pushed down for anything. Everyone is lifted up just as much as the next person and everyone is supportive for anything that they want to do on stage.”

For the first time ever, teachers were included as featured performers at the coffeehouse, bringing a new atmosphere to the old tradition. Mrs. Barnett was one of the teachers who performed for the first time at a coffeehouse. “Now that I think about it,” she said, “it’s weird that I’ve been here for eight years and never performed in front of the students.” Her performance (an impressive display of dance accompanied by Ms. Hobgood on guitar) wowed the audience, just as everyone expected it would.

Coffeehouses bring together some of the most talented faces in the crowd and are exciting for everyone. In the words of Mrs. Barnett, “I think it’s great that anybody can show up and share with the school what they’re passionate about. I think it opens it up to anything besides just singing, just dancing. Mrs. Ambroz has really done a great job with them.”

Be sure to keep an eye out for the next Cougar Coffeehouse, coming to Coronado’s auditorium soon!