Passing Into The Winter Sports: Men’s Basketball

Ivy Ross, Staff Writer

As the first semester comes to a close winter sports are taking off. Boys basketball had their first game on Tuesday, December 5th in a home game against Sand Creek, the Cougars were victorious with a final score of 98-66. Some great plays were made by everyone, but some key players were Ladarius Mays, who made 20 points for the team; Ashton Rogers, who made 21 points and 12 rebounds; and Bryce Mckee, who made 16 points and 9 assists.

Mr. Thomas, Coronado social studies teacher and head of Coronado’s men basketball team says he is “excited to see [the team] go out and compete the way we have known we can”. He continued, “This group is a blast coach and be around. I am blessed to be their coach and look forward to improving throughout the year. I hope people enjoy the product we put out on the court”.

Mr. Thomas is a history, psychology, and government teacher at Coronado, he has been coaching basketball for ten years now, and this will be his “3rd year at Coronado as the head coach”. He is super dedicated to the team, and if you have ever been in one of his classes you know this fact all too well. He coaches because the “game has given me so much and I want to give back”.

The basketball team has three other coaches shared Mr. Thomas; Levi Harris, the “JV Coach and 3rd leading scorer in Coronado history and former UCCS basketball player”; Marquis Burleson the “varsity Assistant and Skills Director. Former state champion at Sierra; and Darin Vanderwalker, the “Engineer and basketball coach for 10+ years”.

Go Cougars! Swishing you good luck in your season.