Amazing Art Awards All Semester

Jasmin Kykendall’s award-winning charcoal piece, Claustrophobia

Bekah Redinger, Staff Writer

Coronado’s different departments are celebrated at school, since we accomplish so much in our endeavors. Our art students are some of the most well-known for what they do, and are a group of talented people who have won many awards throughout this year.

In early April, Coronado submitted five pieces to the Fifth Congressional District’s Congressional Art Competition. The works submitted were by Kylie Anderson, Piper Colton, Bethany Skibinski, Spencer Smith, and Victoria VanTuil, all of which showed talent and dedication to their art. In the competition, Piper Colton won second place for painting and Spencer Smith won second place for printmaking. “At the award ceremony, Spencer had the opportunity to meet Congressman Doug Lamborn… In addition to their ribbons and certificates, both students received letters of congratulation from the Congressman commending them for their artistic talent,” Ms. Foos explained.

Later in the month, many Coronado students participated in the 56th Annual Young People’s Art Exhibition, which spans across the Pikes Peak region. Jasmin Kuykendal won best in show for her charcoal drawing “Claustrophobia”. Other competitors were Genesis Cervantez, Piper Colton, Danielle DeLeon, Lauryn Garrison, Keegan Hartman, Christopher Kelly, Chya Pfeiffer, Jillian Shea, Bethany Skibinski, and Milyn Weeks.

The Pikes Peak Camera Club also recently hosted a competition to which Coronado sent many students, all who submitted incredible pieces. Ms. Foos said that “Keegan Hartman has received the 1st Place Award, for the image “Defiance of Reason,” and also an honorable mention for the image “The Portal”. Alison Ambuul has received the 3rd Place Award, for her image “Checkers,” and also an honorable mention for her image “Blurring Lines”. I am also very pleased to inform you that Irene Prentice received a Judges’ Choice award for her image “Walker”.” Also at that competition, honorable mentions went to Alexis Shaver for “Catch and Release,” Sadie Enoch for “Fist,” Bethany Skibinsk for “Rainbow Falls” and “The Beverly Apartments,” Becca Bieda for “dot dot dot,” Faith Roth for “Defiance of Reason and Majesty,” Lauryn Garrison for “Lost You,” and Kaelynn Horton for “Retro”.

Congratulations to all the artists who performed well at the competitions, and here’s to many more wins and achievements from our art department!