1st Slam Poetry Meeting

Mary Carrell, Staff Writer

The first Slam Poetry meeting took place on September 25 during 6th and 7th periods in the auditorium. Mr. Hartman, who teaches freshman, junior and senior English, brought two slam poets, Piper Mullins and Paulie Lipman, to share their poems with his classes and those who were interested in the Slam Poetry event. Each poet shared poems of their own and others they have done in group poetry; they even did a slam poem together. Not only did the slam poets share, but some of the students also shared their poems with the whole room.  Each one of them spoke to the audience in different ways and displayed very outgoing expression toward each of their work. Tears were shed and happiness echoed throughout the room.

“When I was at the Slam Event, I knew the students were nervous but when the students themselves perform their pieces, they feel supportive through the tears, clapping, and complements and the different ways they feel toward their fellow student,” said Mr. Hartman, “I’m always excited to put it together. I’m always excited to bring the poets here because I bring them for the students so they listen and feel connected to the slam poets themselves and feel embraced in the concepts of their work.”

The slam meeting brought people together, and because of this, the students of our school know their classmates more thoroughly, which connects us together in a stronger relationship.